Tuesday, June 11, 2013

My First Guru, Ramona Santos Santos -- my mother passed away by Odilia Rivera-Santos

My first guru was my mother, and like any relationship between a guru and disciple, she was instrumental in my becoming who I am and it could get complicated and difficult at times.

My mother instructed me to live small and be small in the world.
Visibility was a kind of grandiosity, something she found repellent.
Wearing red lipstick and plunging necklines meant you were trying too hard.
Trying too hard to be attractive was unattractive.
Loud conversations or drawing attention to yourself in public was crass and showed a lack of education.
Having too much in front of someone who has too little was mean.
Greed was a hideous defect.
Compliments on your beauty and offers of presents should not change your values.

Be kind.
Be humble.
Help others whenever possible.
Be generous.
Take care of those unable to care for themselves.
Use your skills to do good in the world.
Respect your body.
Say thank you and excuse me.
Focus on what you can do, not on what you can't do.
Fight with dignity.
Be honest.


No comments:

Post a Comment